Sunday 9 June 2013

A couple of recipes

Weigh in day tomorrow and I hope I lose again.

Been in the kitchen trying out some new ideas today. I was craving some Humus, so thought I would try to make a lower cal version of it.  The regular one has so much oil in it's very high in calories.

This is what I came up with and I must say it;s pretty delish :-)  so modest!!

 This recipe makes 2 good size portions and has 279 calories.  Have it with Veggie crudites or bread sticks (24 cals per stick) 4 is plenty to make a 379 cal lunch.  I hope you have a food processor or blender as most of my concoctions need one :-)

 Humus

  • 1 can Chickpeas
  • 1/2 teaspoon chopped Garlic
  • 2 tbsp Lemon juice
  • 2 level tbsp Peanut Butter
  • 1 tbsp Sweet Chilli Sauce (optional)
  • salt
Blend all the ingredients and enjoy.  Will keep in the fridge for several days, not sure if you can freeze it though.

**********************

My take on a Chicken Cassoulet, after seeing a recipe on the M&S site, I revamped it to work with the ingredients I had to hand and came up with this.  I served it with half a packet of rice and it made a substantial dinner.  High fibre content and 255 cals per portion plus another 185 cals for the rice, a dinner for 440 cals.  This makes 4 portions and freezes (defrost before reheating)

Chicken Cassoulet

  •  12 oz chopped Chicken Breast
  • 1 tin Mixed Beans (any kind but check cals)
  • 1 tin Green Lentils
  • 1 tin chopped Tomatoes
  • 2 chopped Onions
  • Garlic
  • Mixed Herbs (dried)
  • Salt
  • 1/2 pint of water
I made this into a one step process by putting all the ingredients into a Casserole dish and cooking in the oven for 2 hours at 150C, Gas 3.

If you wanted a thicker sauce you could add tomato puree but not sure how many calories this will add.

You could add some Curry paste to it to make a change, I had a dessert spoon of Mango Chutney with mine and it was lovely. 


No comments:

Post a Comment